Friday, April 11, 2008

Failing Spectacularly!




I have to say that the current democratic primary process seems to be dragging on quite a bit longer than other contests in recent memory. But in reality, and in historical perspective, not really. I hear, all the time, that the bitter snipping between Hill and Bama will cause irrefutable damage to the democratic party and consequently cause a defeat in the coming general election. And, of course, the cries are not few who believe all would be solved if the Hill would simply and gracefully bow out and acquiesce to a younger, hipper democratic nominee. At least that is what the pundits have to say. My sense of the matter...NONSENSE! 

I must first point out that I have been an ardent supporter of the Hill. It's rather ironic as I was not a fan of the Bill. I'm not sure why, but the moment that the Hill announced plans to run for NY Senator I was a fan; kind of a ballsy move if you ask me. She, in many ways, redefined the role of "first lady". She did away with many of the held, stereotypical notions of an elite party socialite picking the next set of china for the blue room of the white house. This is certainly not meant to lessen the very important and strategic role of the first lady. Many, of whom, had very worthy causes that their position and stature allowed them to make a real difference. I could mention a few and show off my historical prowess but that would be very much off the subject at hand (maybe in another blog, if you like). But the Hill went beyond social protocol and finding her own "just say no" slogan. She, with the help and support of the Bill, cut to the chase and grabbed at an opportunity to impact millions...healthcare. She failed miserably. History can show us where she failed, how she failed, and why she failed. Regardless of the brutal nature that is modern day politics, what we remember is that she failed. But what a spectacular failure it was! I'm reminded of the phrase, "It is better to fail spectacularly than succeed with mediocrity". We all remember, "Just Say NO!". I know that has come in handy for me when tempted with the likes of drugs and sex and alcohol consumption and... just say no! Right. Even if it was the eighties, how naive. Healthcare was tackled in the first two years of the Clinton administration. Whatever you think of the Hill, one can never say she simply baked cookies and picked out china patterns. (Nothing against those who do....I happen to enjoy both of those activities, but I digress.)

Fast forward nearly two decades. Two terms in the white house, healthcare failure, "I never had sex with that woman" scandal, impeachment hearings, two terms as Senator from NY, and now, what used to be billed as an inevitable road to the white house, the Hill is in the fight of her life. I have to be honest, things don't look good for her in part, due to a nation swept up in a fervor of hope, swooning speeches, and white guilt while some if not most of the fault laid sole at her feet. She made some critical errors and had some lapses in judgement and quite frankly, just plain old good common sense. In a normal and more perfect world, save for race cards and gender inequalities, there would be no doubt or question in a line up of the Hill and the Bama, as to who is the more qualified and who would be the better president. But all things are not equal. Hill had the momentum, she had the clout, she had the money, but out of no where comes this "youngin" who has usurped her place in history and will, more than likely, beat her in the bid for the nomination. What happened? What went wrong? I can't point out a single narrative that would explain the fall from grace. I don't think the snipper infested, run for your lives Bosnia story helped at all. In fact, that is where even I, as the aforementioned ardent supporter, began to dangle and dip my feet in the waters outside the boat. 


One can never say of the Hill that she does anything with mediocre intent and a lacksidasicle approach to life. On the contrary, she does life BIG and on a scale most of us will never be able to imagine. I'm not ready to count her out just yet and I'm not sure how history will remember this little cross section of time where a woman, a first lady, a Senator from NY ran for the highest office in the land. If she somehow manages to pull out the nomination and the general election, I think she will make a hell of a president. Of course, the thought of the "first gentlemen" running around in the white house with nothing to do is enough material to provide bloggers for a life time. If the Hill somehow goes down in flames she will have done so brilliantly. She will have failed spectacularly! 

That is all...

No comments: