Friday, April 11, 2008

Gotta have FRIENDS!

Ok so shoot me for being a tad sentimental this evening. It's cold, overcast, and a Friday night and I'm at home enjoying some rare quiet time before the evening's festivities. 

A little reflection on the importance of good friends. I'm not talking about those who you text now and again or even instant message here and there. I'm not talking about those that you may run into at Wal-Mart or at the local pub. I'm not talking about those who offer polite smiles and haphazard glances and simply wave as they continue to carry on with their very busy social schedules. I'm not talking about those that offer you something in return for your friendship. I'm not talking about the ones that take and take and take and never seem to have the wherewithal to give back. I'm definitely not talking about those who have the loveliest of facial expressions until the moment you turn your back and find a blunt medal object stuck in it.
 
I'm talking about those with whom you "do life". I'm talking about those that you call when your hamster dies and you need to cry like a kid whose just lost his best friend. I'm talking about those who will stand up and defend  you even when you are wrong. I'm talking about those that carry your burden even when you never asked them to. I'm talking about someone who cares despite personal objection or open ridicule. I'm talking about the ones who tell you that you're a jerk and love you in spite of it. I'm talking about those who laugh with you so hard that beer shoots out of every orifice...and then laughs about that. I'm talking about someone who knows the secret language and hand shake, if you have one!

If you have even just one of the good ones, you're lucky. I have them and even if I had a hamster and it died, I know that I could pick up a phone and they would cry with me. Of course then we would have some beers and laugh about it until it was coming out of every orifice. Then we'd laugh about that.

That is all...

2 comments:

Kristen Butler said...

Awwwww.... we love you too Marc!

You know we got your back when your hamster croaks!

Miss you in the Mountains!

Kari and Kristen!

Brandon said...

indeed.